The holiday season is upon us and we need to keep our skin glowing for all the holiday parties we'll be attending. The best way to do that is with weekly at home facials.
Below you’ll find the steps for the facial I give myself every Friday.
Here is what your will need:
1. Headband or something to hold back and protect hair
3. Pot to simmer water for steaming
4. A large bowl to steam face
5. Towel to tent head over bowl while steaming
6. Gentle exfoliant
8. Nourishing mask
9. Mask brush (optional)
10. Moisturizer or serum
Steps to the perfect facial
1. Pull hair back from face and secure.
2. Cleanse – Gently cleanser your face with a mild cleanser and pat dry (never stroke skin with a towel when drying, this removes precious oils that nourish and keep skin healthy)
3. Analyze – Examine your skin in the mirror. Take notice of any dry or oily patches, blackheads, blemishes, hyperpigmentation. Based on your findings decide on a serum and masque to use later on in your facial.
Here are a few ideas:
For dry skin – banana, egg yolk, avocado, buttermilk
For oily skin – egg white, aloe vera, honey, oatmeal
For acne – nutritional yeast, honey, turmeric
For anti-aging – avocado, honey, egg white,
For hyperpigmentation – papaya, pineapple, lemon, turmeric
4. Prepare your masque – I always start with yogurt and choose a couple of the above ingredients depending on how my skin is feeling. I always add a probiotic to my masque to support my skin’s microbiome and a few drops of my favorite serum (RECOVER or REJOICE do the trick)
5. Steam – Fill large bowl, pot or sink with hot water and tent with a towel (do not boil water, this will be too hot). Steam face for about 5-10 minutes. This will help open pores and soften dead skin cells. Pat dry.
6. Exfoliate – Use a mild exfoliant, such as DJS UNCOVER, to remove dead skin, this step will clear pores as well as creating a clean slate making it easier for products to penetrate.
7. Massage – Going back to analyze portion, apply your chosen serum to use for a gentle massage. Using fingertips, gently massage your face in light upward and outward strokes. For dry skin massage for about 10 minutes, for oily skin massage for 5 minutes.
8. Masque – Here’s your chance to relax. Apply your masque using fingertips or brush, spreading over face, neck and décolleté in a thin, even layer, avoiding the eye area. Leave on for 15 – 20 minutes.
9. Rinse – Rinse well with cool water and pat dry
10. Moisturize – Massage moisturizer into skin. Your skin will look revitalized and radiant.
A weekly facial will keep your skin looking young and glowing.