Why does one person have great skin while another struggles with rosacea, eczema, acne, or psoriasis?
Your skin is your larges organ, it is on guard, protecting you 24/7 from the toxins in your environment, yet we rarely think about keeping it healthy other than slathering it with lotions in hopes of getting the “glow”.
Every skincare company, dermatologist, and plastic surgeon is going to tell you that the key to better skin is whatever they’re selling (Yup, true!), but the health of your skin isn’t all about what you put on it.
The health of your skin comes from your hormones, stress, diet, nutrient deficiencies, leaky gut, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, and autoimmune illnesses.
For me, my skin challenges came from the toxic overload of my lifestyle in my 20’s and 30’s, and the direct abuses of being search of the perfect tan.
I looked for anything that would fix my skin, but nothing worked, not even the most expensive creams with the most promising claims, nothing!
And then I created a skincare company that removed the toxic burden from my body (I cut out approximately 168 chemicals from personal care products that the average woman is exposed to daily), but I also did something else.
I got healthy. I worked on my gut, changed my diet to include loads of leafy greens and other antioxidant vegetables, I detoxed my environment, I learned to manage my stress and my skin no longer makes me look old.
Things like steroid creams, chemical peels, and antibiotics can harm you long term by wrecking your gut flora and they don’t fix the root cause of the problem, they only address the symptoms. Thing will cause your symptoms to come back over and over and over again.
Skin challenges can be a sign that something deeper is going on in your body – dry, scaly patches could signal excess insulin; dry skin can mean low thyroid function; rosacea is usually directly related to leaky gut; itchy skin can be a sign of food allergies; and eczema, acne, and rashes always means excess inflammation.
The steps I used to correct my skin and the steps I use with clients who want to age looking amazing is something like this:
1. Remove all sugar – this includes ALL sugar – from the white stuff to the healthy sounding stuff to white flour and everything made with it. Sugar causes wrinkles and destroys your collagen and elastin.
2. Remove all processed foods – if it comes with a label, it’s out because of all the hidden sugars and unhealthy fats that food companies add.
3. Track how food makes you feel – this is important, you may find a hidden food sensitivity or allergy that you didn’t connect.
4. Remove gluten – although you may not know it yet, you may have a sensitivity to gluten – about 90% of us do and most of us don’t realize it. Also, one of the main proteins, glutenin, in gluten can break through the gut wall, causing leaky gut and since it looks like your thyroid through cellular mimicry, your body can attack your thyroid. Have thyroid problems – ditch the gluten
5. Remove all GMO’s – this includes corn, soy and peanuts
6. Remove all dairy – there’s no place in a healthy diet for dairy, it’s loaded with sugars, proteins that we can process and hormones that we don’t need. Even organic dairy will have hormones.
7. Pay attention to how the foods makes you feel, cut out what doesn’t make you feel good
8. Increase the healthy foods that do make you feel good
9. Take probiotics to add healthy bacteria to your gut daily.
10. Increase fiber intake to feed bacteria and keep everything “moving” to remove toxins
11. Increase intake of healthy fats
12. Keep blood sugar from crashing and spiking.
13. Move in ways that make you happy
14. Manage stress
16. Remove toxic cleaners from your home
17. Remove toxic personal care products.
We’re all aging, why not look good doing it! That’s what my Exceptional Aging Program was designed for. Schedule a free consultation to see how we can work together to help you age exceptionally. https://calendly.com/donnajskincare/let-s-connect