The title of this post is heart breaking to me; she has adult acne. Although I didn’t have acne, I know how she feels, because I too was embarrassed of my skin, and I knew I needed to help her.
Here are the changes she made that helped:
1. Eliminate all dairy and whey products, they have been linked to acne.
2. A lack of zinc in the diet has been linked to acne. Consuming red meat (in moderation), shellfish, chickpeas, lentils, seeds, nuts, whole grains and eggs will give you all the zinc you need.
3. Consume lots of colorful fruits and veggies, they’re high in antioxidants that fight free radicals that cause acne
4. Consume probiotics either from foods (avoid dairy forms of probiotics) or in supplement form and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids, both help alleviate inflammation in the body causes acne.
5. Avoid simple carbohydrates and sugars. They both cause sugar to spike leading to excess oil production and acne.
6. Dry skin with disposable paper towels so you’re not introducing acne causing bacteria back onto skin
7. Keep hair off your face so as not to introduce bacteria to the skin
8. Change pillowcases often, if you’re not washing your hair every day, it has toxins and bacteria on it.
9. Wash makeup brushes weekly, at a minimum
10. Exfoliate twice a week to keep pores clear.
11. Manage stress and get adequate amounts of sleep as they both increase cortisol which in turn causes the overproduction of the skins natural oil causing acne.
Making these lifestyle changes helped her, and if you have adult acne, they can help you.